Thursday, February 20, 2014

Gender Identity

        In my opinion, girls should be feminine and men should masculine. This is not to say that girls cannot be tomboys and guys cannot be interested in things that may be on the feminine side. There is a balance. Also, I believe that girls should date guys and vice versa. If someone is gay, I do not have a problem with it. I have friends that are. As long as they do not force it upon me, I do not mind. There have been instances when I have been out with friends, and I have seen them showing affection to their significant other or trying to encourage someone to try being with someone of the same sex. I hate that it has to be this way, but I am not ok with this. I am not a fan of PDA as it is. 
I had a discussion the other day with a friend. We were talking about how most lesbians have had more experience with guys than most of the single, straight girls. I feel like most of these people have been through a traumatizing situation with the opposite sex whether they were cheated on, raped, or even lied to. I feel like men suffer the most from behaving like the opposite sex. Men are supposed to be big, strong, and manly. When men are interested in or partake in things seen as feminine, they are looked down up. This is not to say lesbians are not looked down up, because they are. It is just more socially acceptable for girls to be a tomboy. 

I would say my family has had an impact on my gender identity. My parents are happily married, and I have always wanted a relationship like theirs. My older sister dated a lot of guys and has found her match. My whole family is “normal” when it comes to that aspect. Even throughout middle and high school, every sport team I was on was full of straight girls. This is of course someone was to afraid to tell us otherwise. It was not until my freshman year of college where I started to meet people who were gay. I also spent a lot of time with some because they were on my team. As long as you made it known that you were straight, they left you alone and you were friends. Now that I am friends with some gay people, my eyes have been opened to things they go through because of it. I have talked about it with some of my straight friends. We agreed that we are not ok with people being gay, but we will not judge. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with all of your statements. I feel extremely uncomfortable when people who are gay or lesbian try to convince people that they too are gay or lesbian. I think everyone should keep their private life to themselves and leave it at that. My family has also had a huge impact on my gender identity and I am blessed to have such a strong foundation at home. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post and I agree with your points on men and women. I can't say that I agree with the whole gay or lesbian thing, but that is not my choice and I am like you, not to judge anything. Great job.

    ReplyDelete