Friday, February 7, 2014

Privilege

Blog Post 3
A privilege is a right or an opportunity only enjoyed only by people with an advantage. It is something others may not be fortunate enough to get. When asked to define privilege, the first thing that came to mind would be all of the privileges I have been blessed with. I started playing basketball at an early age. Luckily, my athletic ability and love for the game has let me play up until now. Not only that, but I have had the support both financially and emotionally from my family. Basketball has allowed many privileges. While grades are not just handed to us, like many people may think, some teachers understand our situation and busy schedules. Therefore, they work with us when we have to travel or with everything else going on. In order to be a part of the team, there are certain requirements we have to uphold. As long as we do, we are granted these privileges. 
I also have had the privilege of not only being part of the basketball team, but I am also a part of a sorority. There are not a lot of people who are fortunate enough to be involved in both. Just like basketball, there are certain requirements you must uphold. For instance, you must maintain a certain GPA, volunteer fifteen hours of your time to community service with you philanthropy, and more. By doing all of these things, you are rewarded with a great group of friends, social opportunities, and great experiences. 

As a teacher, I know I will be understanding of student-athletes, but I do not want to make other students feel like the athletes get special treatment to the athletes. I think it is important for the teacher to be approachable when students who do not have certain privileges struggle and need help. As long as there is communication and a reasonable explanation, everyone should have the same attention. 

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with your definition of privilege. I feel that there is many different approaches you can take with it. Being a student-athlete will help you see both sides of the spectrum, and how to deal with certain situations. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you on this and know what its like to be a student athlete. Its hard at times to fit school in along with sports but it can be done. You did a good job with this post.

    ReplyDelete