Thursday, March 13, 2014

Geographical Loaction


Blog Post 8
I have lived in two different areas in my life. I grew up in Woodstock, Georgia. While it is not a big city or a country town, it is somewhere in between. I grew up in a pretty big neighborhood where I learned a lot about community. You had your neighbors and then the people who lived on the same street. From what I remember, everyone got along. No one was hesitant to lend a helping hand. If we needed something we were able to ask our neighbors, but if they didn’t have it or it was more than an egg or a cup of milk, the store was no more than five to eight minutes away. Not only was it close, but there were many options. Shopping malls and other things like that were not to far away. 
When I got older, my family moved to Canton, Georgia. All I knew was that I was now living in the middle of two cow pastures. Don’t get me wrong, the landscape was beautiful but way different than what I was used to. The neighborhood I moved in two was a lot smaller than the one we moved from, but there was not as much of a sense of community. The people who lived in there were stuck up and loved being in your business. Other than my neighborhood, people were really nice. It was a small town so everyone basically knew everyone if you grew up there. My friend’s dad would tell us stories all the time about all of the work he would have to do in the summer. Another one of my friends actually lived on a farm, and she would talk about all the things they had to do. I thought doing yard work was bad. There was not a whole lot to do in that area. Even though we had a grocery store down the road from our house, everything was pretty distant. The closest Target was about forty-five minutes away. The longer we lived out there, the busier the area got. A lot of the open land was cleared and turned in to something. 

I think both of the places I have lived have impacted me to be the person I am today. I feel like the move to Canton, was something my whole family needed. Although we went through some rough times, I know it happened for a reason. Through it, we meant many wonderful people, learned many lessons, and grew closer as a family. It gave us a new perspective on how people were raised and how they do things. 

2 comments:

  1. Lauren,

    Like you I have lived in the city and the country. Both have impacted my life and i am thankful to have experienced different places. Living in a small town, everyone knows everyone and knows everyones business. There are pros and cons to that. All of the places I have lived have made me who I am today. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in Chattanooga for six months and it took me forever to get use to the city. Growing up in a small town is in my blood and has made who I am. Great post

    ReplyDelete