Thursday, March 6, 2014

Mormon Church Experience

Blog Post 7
This past Sunday, I went with two classmates to a Mormon church in Dahlonega. Growing up, when my family went to church, we went to a Catholic church. We did not attend regularly, but when I got older we started going to a non-denominational church. Before going to the Mormon church, I was honestly nervous because I don’t know much about what they believe or if we would be welcome. I had never known a Mormon, but I got to talking about it with a friend who is. This is why we chose to go there. When we got there, I was surprised how nice everyone was. I was worried that they would ask if I came from a different religious background, and one girl did. I was surprised that she didn’t care. She was super nice, and offered to answer any questions we had when the ward was dismissed. 
When we arrived, I noticed some similarities but also many differences. I have been to many Baptist churches. Some similarities I saw were how the people dress. Men wore suites and women worn proper dresses or skirts. This differs from my church because you can literally wear pajamas and no one would care. Even though people don’t actually do that, people wear jeans all the time. Another difference I noticed between my church is that the Mormon church calls their services a ward. The one we went to was about an hour long. Before it was over, they mentioned that after there were other meetings. I asked my friend what that meant, and she told me that they are normally there for three or four hours every Sunday. My church is about an hour and a half every Sunday.

There were many things that happened that I was not positive on what was going on. They did a lot of voting as a church on members of different councils. This is a small thing but I noticed how when they prayed and talked, sometimes, they would use words like “thou” and “thee.” I have seen these words used in the Bible, but the pastor at my church and other leaders do not use that language. The main difference was how they have the Book of Mormon. I am still not positive on what it is, but one guy shared his testimony and referred to it a lot. 

1 comment:

  1. Lauren,

    Considering I was one of the people to go with you to the Mormon Church, I noticed a lot of the same similarities and differences. It is much different and attending the Mormon Church made me more curious about it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete